WHAT WERE MY FAVORITE ALBUMS OF 2002?
1) Origin: Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
This is the new landmark for shear speed and brutality, on drums, on guitar, on vocals, just perfection.
2) Dream Theater: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
In the number two slot, Dream Theater, but really, the genre gap between slots 1 and 2 is so wide, it's sorta tough to say either album has any quality that makes it better than the other due to stylistic choices. After the landmark Metropolis 2, the band expands on those themes to create something fresh and different while retaining their unmistakable style. If I'd had this on vinyl, I'd have needed a replacement by now considering the number of times I've listened to the album.
3) Nile: In Their Darkened Shrines
Harkening back to their "Catacombs" album, while more straight forward than their last album, this in no way interferes with the band taking a bold step forward.
4) Napalm Death: Order Of The Leech
These guys are just unstoppable, year after year, they keep getting better.
5) Disgorge: Consuming the Forsaken
While the individual songs aren't very memorable on their own, as a single unit this album delivers a good kick to the stomach, which we all need now and again.
6) Hate Eternal: King Of All Kings
More chaotic than their previous release, damn impressive shit.
7) Meshuggah: Nothing
Due to the various issues I mentioned in my review, I find it hard to give this a higher rating, but it definitely gets your attention. One of the more innovative releases of the year.
8) Myrkskog: Superior Massacre
The perfect blend of black and death.
9) Theory In Practice: Colonizing The Sun
The masters of complexity, this album combines complete chaos with incredible focus. Don't understand how that's possible? Listen to the album.
10) Malevolent Creation: The Will To Kill
Rounding out the top 10, Malevolent Creation come back to their roots with great production and a great selection of new tunes to smash us around the room with.
Honorable Mention: Bloodbath: Resurrection Through Carnage
WHAT WERE YOUR FAVORITE ALBUMS OF 2002?
1) Nile: In Their Darkest Shrines
2) Meshuggah: Nothing
3) Dream Theater: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4) Iniquity: Grime
4) Theory In Practice: Colonizing The Sun
6) Impaled: Mondo Medicale
7) Origin: Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
8) Soilwork: Natural Born Chaos
9) Vader: Revelations
10) Cannibal Corpse: Gore Obsessed
10) Cephalic Carnage: Lucid Interval
10) Immolation: Unholy Cult
10) In Flames: Reroute To Remain